This is a guest post written by young passionate writers from Mumbai, known by pseudo names Miss P and Miss J. Read the post here.
Impulsive Shopping And Shopping Diet
Let’s be real here for a minute. We all love shopping and when we see something we like, WE HAVE TO GET IT! We don’t know about you but we don’t even use half the stuff we buy because we figure out later that we didn’t really need it. So we did a bit of thinking and we noted down a few things where we cannot stop ourselves and we also figured out a way to solve the problem. We went on a shopping diet!
Our top impulses:
- Flip Flops: We all have ATLEAST 5-6 pairs of flip-flops but we use only 1 of those and the rest all are just lying around, unused. So yeah. We cannot resist cute flip-flops. And flip-flops are not even cheap (unless you buy it from Colaba or Linkin Road) so we do spend a lot of money on that. Currently P has 8 pairs of flip-flops. Oops.
- Phone Cases: Do you really need an explanation? We love our phones a lot, we are internet people and chances are you have different phone cases for different outfits. Because you gotta colour-coordinate your phones. Some people (Miss P) buy phone cases every week and at the end of the year you have a 100 different phone cases and when you look at them, you don’t even like some of them. Some people have phone cases which have studs and pearls and beads and stuff like that but we prefer the classic ones or the printed ones. But a girl gotta have her phone cases. (How many phone cases do you have?) This is for guys too. Be it supporting your favourite football team or just simple plain coloured phone cases, we have seen boys going crazy on phone cases. We know a guy in our college who has 54 phone cases for his iPhone. Whaatttttt? (And yes, we have counted)
- Nail paints: This is for girls. You have a drawer full of nail paints in your house and every time you go to buy beauty products you end up buying 4-5 nail-paints. Shhhh. Don’t even try to deny it. You do. We know it.
- Pajamas: Whether you are girl or a boy, a 10 year old or a 30 year old, you have a LOT of pjs. Boys have tons of printed boxers while the girls have tons of cute lacey shorts. And you know how much you love those printed babies. So what do you have in your nightwear collection? Batman boxers/shorts? Check. Simpsons? Check. Hearts? Check. Other random cartoons? Check.
- Cute Stationery and Diaries: You probably have a stack of diaries and cute stationery somewhere in your house. There is something about the diaries that make you buy them. Even if you don’t write.
- Pens: You need pens. But you don’t need designer pens. Don’t even say you don’t spend on Parker or Cross pens. Even regular pens. You have a lot of pens and you don’t know how.
- Accessories: Need we say more?
- Shoes: Be it stilettos or wedges, be it pumps or sport shoes, we cannot control our urge to buy shoes. WE NEED THEM. Period
- Video Games CDs: If you own a PS of any kind, A Nintendo, or an Xbox, you have a bunch of CDs (What are they called?) and you keep on buying new ones. Until one day you wonder how you have so many!
- Wallets and Bags: No explanation needed!
So now that you know you have an Impulsive Shopping Disorder, you must diet!
Why? : 1. You save money.
2. You have more space at home.
3. You can shop more.
Yeah so what is a Shopping Diet?
Just like a normal food diet (which is not very normal), you need to have different things in a limit. For example: You can have a dessert once in a month. Similarly in a Shopping Diet, you can shop for only 3 nail-paints a month. (Don’t worry, the Maybelline Glittermania is out of stock anyways)
Here is a diet:
- 3 nail-paints a month
- Flip-flops once every 2 months
- Only 1 phone case a month. (Accessorize isn’t going anywhere and nor are its phone-cases)
- You can buy as many clothes as you throw/give away.
- Shoes only when required. No random shopping
And so on. Give yourself a budget for a month. Say Rs. 5000. You have to buy everything in that budget. You cannot use more.
Decide your diet according to your needs.
To check how much of a shopaholic are you, just enter your room and scan through all the drawers. Or take a test online. Whatever.
When you shop less, you can save your pocket money.
So we hope you enjoyed this post and make sure you go and visit our blog!
We are going to be doing an article on how to save money while shopping in Colaba and Bandra soon. So Stay Tuned.
Visit their social media:
Facebook: Those Mumbai Girls Blog
Thanks. Enjoy. Ciao.